After a bee or wasp sting most people will notice a small, painful itchy bump which will disappear over a few hours. This local reaction is caused by the insect‘s venom, not an allergy.

For certain sensitive people, a local reaction that is also allergic develops and can be much more serious: a painful red swelling which may spread and last a couple of days.

Stings can also provoke generalised reactions with a variety of consequences (urticaria, oedema, vomiting, diarrhoea, rhinitis symptoms, an asthma attack, anaphylactic shock).

  • Zirtek is not indicated for severe allergy such as anaphylaxis.